The 2014 application period is CLOSED. Deadline to apply was March 28, 2014, 4:00 p.m. 2015 Scholarship applications will be available in the spring of 2015.
In 2014, 12 scholarships for a total of $7,000 may be awarded as follows:
Five Student Vocational Scholarships: One will be awarded in the amount of $1,000; and four in the amount of $500 for the youth vocational program for the 2014/2015 school year. Eligibility requires applicants to be under the age of 23 and intending to attend an accredited vocational institution.
Five Student Academic Scholarships:One will be awarded in the amount of $1,000; and four in the amount of $500 for the youth academic program for the 2014/2015 school year. Eligibility requires applicants to be under the age of 23 and intending to attend an accredited college/university institution.
Two Adult Scholarships:Two in the amount of $500 to be used for either academic or vocational educational and/or retraining opportunities. Eligibility requires applicants to be the age of 23 or above and intending to attend an accredited college, university or vocational institution.
The City of Soldotna has established the scholarship fund provided due to the vision and generosity of life-long resident, Mae Ciechanski of the Soldotna area. Mae's vision included providing scholarship opportunities for vocational, as well as academic students for youth and adult applicants.
The awards are open to high school seniors, university students and adults meeting the criteria outlined below. The purpose of the awards is to support tuition, fees, room & board and books. Awards must only cover costs not covered by other grants or scholarships. Applications are available at City Hall, SoHi, Skyview, Cook Inlet Academy and River City Academy guidance counselor’s offices and the KPC Financial Aid Office.
Applications must be turned into your school’s counselor/financial aid office or Soldotna City Hall by 4:00 PM on Friday, March 28, 2014.
Contact Heather Dukowitz for more information.
2014/2015 Eligibility and Criteria
- Student applicants must either be seniors in a Central Kenai Peninsula-area high school, be a returning under-graduate college student that attended a Central Kenai Peninsula-area high school or a resident of the Central Kenai Peninsula that is 22 years of age or younger.
- Adult applicants must be at least 23 years of age, be residents of the Central Kenai Peninsula area, or recent graduates of a Central Kenai Peninsula-area school.
- Applicants must be pursuing a post-secondary education at an accredited college, university or appropriate vocational/technical school of choice beginning no later than the fall semester of the current year.
- Scholarship amount will not exceed the cost of registration, books and associated costs within the school year and must be fully spent prior to August 31 of the following year. Students must provide the City with proof of enrollment costs upon request.
- Applicants must have earned a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0.